Why is MBBS in Philippines getting a global outreach? The story behind the Philippines's successful medical colleges.
MBBS in Philippines is getting quite popular among Indian Students. Currently, there are more than 3000 students who study medicine in Philippines. The Philippines is one of the most preferred countries to study MBBS abroad because of several reasons. There are many Medical Universities in the Philippines that offer MBBS courses that are approved by WHO and MCI.
While aspiring MBBS students try to switch their careers to prepare for NEET, there is always an alternative option to study MBBS abroad. MBBS in Philippines is convenient for Indian students because of the low-cost fee structure. The cost of medical education is much lower compared to other countries like Australia, China, the USA, etc.
Why do students prefer to study MBBS in Philippines?
In recent times, the percentage of Indian students has increased steadily because of the high passing percentage in the MCI screening test as well as FMGE. Here are the few highlighted points of why students prefer to study MBBS in Philippines:
- The official language of the Philippines is English. It is easier for Indian students who study MBBS in Philippines , as they shall have to interact with the students during the time clinical rotation
- The entrance exams like TOEFL or IELTS to study MBBS in the Philippines.
- The mode of instruction is in the language of English.
- The universities in the Philippines are globally recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- The Medical colleges in the Philippines have about 30% of Indian students. About 10,000 students come from abroad to study MBBS in the Philippines.
- The medical institutions in the Philippines are based on the US system of education which gives the students numerous opportunities to work abroad.
There are so many benefits for students pursuing MBBS in Philippines, as the country is known for providing world-class education, their global outreach is tremendous. Let's find out why MBBS in Philippines is getting a global outreach.
Why is MBBS in Philippines getting a global outreach?
There is tough competition for medical seats in India, which compels the students to quit their dream of pursuing MBBS, however Medical colleges in abroad countries come as a ray of hope. MBBS in Philippines is one of the best options to take up the MBBS course. The Philippines is one of the growing economies in the world, with the advancement of technologies in the field of medical science. It is becoming the hub for medical universities to provide medical education at affordable cost and advancement in the system of education.
The medical colleges in the Philippines have a world-class infrastructure with modern facilities. The campus shall be equipped with the latest technology for the practical applications of learning. Most medical universities have advanced laboratory systems and state-of-the-art equipment for the students to have hands-on experience with the latest technology.
The Philippines, being one of the most desirable countries for medical aspirants from abroad, has medical universities that are recognized globally. They have recognition from esteemed organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO), Medical Council Of India (MCI), Foundation of Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), and World Federation for Medical Education (WFME).
Cost of Fee
While the fees at private medical colleges in India are so high, it is possible to complete the entire degree with that fee in the Philippines. The cost of the fee is very reasonable to study MBBS in Philippines, as there is no policy for donation fees in the Philippines. It is said that one can save around 70% of their educational fee expenses that are paid in the private medical colleges in India.
Global Internship Programs through Clinical Rotation
The Medical Universities in the Philippines follow the American system of education, as a result of this students get exposed to clinical trials which are mandatory in the final year of the medical course. It provides a great platform for the students to practice the skills that have been learned within classroom boundaries. Under the guidance of senior doctors, students learn practical concepts over several other specializations.
Studying MBBS abroad shall itself be a lifetime experience for students. With the specific period, they get to build their personality. Through the clinical rotation, students get to experience several things. Apart from learning, they get to interact with the patients which have a huge impact on developing their skills.
MBBS in Philippines
- MBBS in Philippines is completed within 5.5 years generally
- The MBBS course structure is divided into two parts, i.e BS course for the first one and a half years which is also termed as pre-med course, and followed by MD course which is of 4 years of duration.
- In the pre-med course, students learn about the basics of science such as Psychology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, and Physiology.
- The MD course consists of specialized subjects like Pediatrics, Paraclinical, General Medicines, Obstetrics, Gynaecology, and ENT, etc.
- The last year of the medical course is completely dedicated to clinical training through a clinical rotation program as an internship, through the affiliated hospitals of the medical colleges in the Philippines.
MBBS in Philippines- Eligibility criteria and admission process
- The aspiring candidates wishing to pursue MBBS in Philippines must have a minimum aggregate of 50% in PCB subjects, students belonging to OBC/SC/ST must have an aggregate of 40%.
- While the NEET qualifying score is valid for three years for the students who want to study MBBS abroad. In the previous year, the qualifying cut-off score was 147 for the unreserved category, and for OBC the cut-off score was 113 which are reserved categories.
The steps for the admission process to study MBBS in Philippines are mentioned below:
- The candidates must fill the application form for the preferred college
- Must submit copies of passport, mark sheets
- Candidates shall receive an admission letter from the medical university
- They must appear for the visa interview at the Philippines Embassy along with the letter of invitation and other necessary documents.
- Join the medical college to study MBBS in Philippines
Top medical colleges in Philippines
The list of top-performing medical universities in the Philippines are listed below, these medical universities are accredited and recognized by prestigious organizations around the world.
- University of Perpetual Help Rizal
- Emilio Aguinaldo College- School of Medicine
- Davao Medical School Foundation
- UV Gullas College of Medicine
- Lyceum Northwestern University
- Southwestern University
- Our Lady of Fatima university
- Bicol Christian College of Medicine
Studying MBBS in Philippines has its advantages. It has the best education system in Asia. While it is one of the most preferred destinations for Indian students who want to study MBBS abroad. Medical education in the Philippines comes at an affordable price with a high-quality education. The Philippines has a literacy rate of 90%, it not only shows the literacy rate of the country but also the importance of education.
MBBS in Philippines is getting a global outreach through its system of education. It has adapted the American education system which includes both theoretical and practical concepts into its curriculum. By including the clinical rotation as a part of the curriculum, students benefit from learning medicine, being interactive towards the patients, and many more that follows. Apart from these factors, the cost of living in the Philippines is very affordable compared to other foreign countries.
While I’d say that one of the key factors for its global outreach in Asia, is its climatic condition. The climate is very similar to that of India which invites many students from India, also the disease pattern is quite similar to that of India, it helps the students to handle the patients as and when they start practising medicine in India.
Philippines Medical University has experienced faculties, though the classes are of the traditional method the curriculum is synchronized with clinical integration and interactive method of learning that induces computerized lectures.
While it may seem to be a tedious process to get through admission in the medical colleges to study MBBS in Philippines. Students are advised to choose their choices wisely but in reality MBBS in Philippines shall assure you to provide the best education and will remain to be the best option to study MBBS abroad. The features and facilities at the medical colleges in the Philippines make it the most successful story.