How was the NEET-UG exam 2021?
NEET-UG 2021 was conducted on Sept 12th, 2021 through pen and paper mode. The NEET exam was given in 13 different languages. The NEET-UG exam was held in about 202 cities across the country. It was the common entrance exam for several other undergraduate courses like MBBS, BAMS, BDS, BSMS, BUMS, and BHMS
As per the reports, about 95% of students appeared for the NEET exam. The NEET 2021 was conducted keeping the COVID-19 protocols in mind. There were about 3800 exam centres across the country this year. About 16.14 Lakhs students had registered for the exam, out of which about 15 lakh students had attended the exam. The NEET exam duration was about three hours (180 minutes).
What is NEET-UG 2021? - Exam details
The National Eligibility cum Entrance Examination ( NEET) was conducted for medical undergraduates across the country. The students who qualify for this entrance exam shall appear in the counselling process for the allotment of seats based on the ranks, category, and preference of the student.
The board had revised the NEET exam pattern for the year 2021, the question paper consisted of 4 subjects which include Physics, Chemistry, Botany, and Zoology. Each of the subjects had 2 sections, i.e. section A and section B respectively. Section A consisted of 35 questions and Section B consisted of 15 questions, out of which candidates can choose to attempt only 10 questions. The candidates shall be allotted 4 marks for every correct answer and 1 mark shall be deducted for every wrong answer.
The NEET examination was conducted in different languages such as Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali, Assamese, Odia, Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, Kannada, and English, among which the new additions were Malayalam and Punjabi.
NEET 2021 exam pattern and Highlights
|Total Number of Questions
|Type of Questions
|Multiple Choice Question
|Number of questions in each section
|Section A: 35 questions
Section B: 15 questions
|Pen and paper mode
|• For every correct answer, +4 marks will be allotted
• For every wrong answer, -1 mark will be deducted
NEET-UG question paper pattern
Now check the new section-wise distribution of questions and total mark from the table below. The table mentioned below provides the section-wise details as per the latest update. In the new pattern of NEET 2021, the marking scheme and the question type remained the same as the previous pattern.
|Number of questions
How was the NEET-UG exam 2021?
After a lot of struggles and confusion, the NEET-UG 2021 was held on Sept 12th. The candidates who appeared for the exam crossed over 16 lakhs as per reports. Amid the pandemic, this year has set a high record for the number of students attending the NEET 2021 exam. After the announcement of results, the medical admissions shall start.
NEET-UG 2021- The level of difficulty
As per the reports, the difficulty level of the paper was moderate to difficult. While few reports of the students were that the biology section was quite easy, Chemistry was of moderate difficulty and Physics was difficult. Few students had reported that the question paper for NEET 2021 was provided late at the exam centre due to which students found it difficult to complete the paper within time.
While the previous year, the difficulty was moderate level as the questions were majorly based on the NCERT syllabus. While the Physics part was quite tricky, though Chemistry was confusing it was easy to answer, biology carried most of the weightage of marks but was at the level of easy to moderate.
Let's have a detailed analysis of the NEET-UG examination 2021.
NEET-UG 2021 Subject-wise Analysis
The section-wise analysis has been mentioned below, along with the level of difficulty included in NEET 2021.
NEET 2021 Physics Paper Analysis
The Physics paper of NEET 2021 was 70% numerically based which was quite lengthy to solve within a given time. Most of the NEET 2021 physics papers covered the syllabus of optics, photoelectric effect, and semiconductors. Also, there were trickier questions in both sections. With no further conclusion, the physics paper was quite lengthy.
- 15 questions were from Mechanics, which included topics like Heat, SHM Waves, Optics, Electronics, and Modern Physics.
- 20 questions were asked from Electrodynamics
- As per the NEET 2021 paper analysis, the Section A of the Physics part had 12 easy questions, and 20 were of moderate difficulty and left out three questions that were difficult to answer.
- In Section B, only 3 questions were of easy level. 6 questions of moderate level, and 6 difficult.
NEET 2021 Chemistry Paper Analysis
The Chemistry paper of NEET 2021 was easy to difficult level. While a few questions were tricky and difficult. While most of the questions were based on the tables, figures, and facts from NCERT, also many questions were statement-based.
- The Physical chemistry topic had about 16 questions.
- Inorganic chemistry included 17 questions while organic chemistry included 17 questions equally.
- Section-A had 15 questions from the 11th syllabus and 20 questions from the 12th syllabus, out of which 14 questions were easy, 17 questions were moderately challenging and 4 questions were difficult.
- Section-B consisted of 15 questions, 8 questions were easy, and 7 of moderate level.
- There were questions based on graph-based and matrix type, and questions based on halogen acids were repeated.
NEET 2021 Biology Paper Analysis
The biology paper consists of two sections, that is Botany and Zoology. The Botany section of the NEET 2021 paper was at a level of easy to difficult, while few questions were tricky and a few difficult. The majority of the questions were straightforward from NCERT books. The Zoology section was of a moderately difficult level. It required a lot of time to analyze the questions as they were twisted.
- The Biology section of the NEET 2021 paper covered the majority of questions from NCERT.
- The maximum number of questions were from Cell Biology, Genetics, and Biomolecules.
- Botany questions were easy to moderate level, whereas the zoology part was of moderate difficulty.
- 61 questions were easy, 16 questions were of moderate difficulty, and 13 questions were difficult.
The NEET-UG 2021 successfully took place on September 12th keeping the safety measures and necessary protocols. While the students who appeared had to follow several instructions by the NTA, they made sure to sanitize the exam centre and candidates ensured to wear masks and maintain social distancing, thereby conducting the NEET-UG 2021 successfully amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
Compared to the previous year, students felt that Physics papers had the highest level of difficulty to answer, as biology and chemistry were comparatively easy. After the announcement of results, government MBBS seats will be allotted to the students based on the NEET 2021 results.