Study MBBS in Philippines 2023
MBBS in the Philippines has emerged as a top destination for Indian students seeking to study medicine abroad. Compared to other foreign courses, the admission process for MBBS in Philippines is relatively straightforward and easy. Every year, more than 10,000 students from countries such as the USA, UK, Germany and India enroll in MBBS in Philippines.
Medical colleges in the Philippines follow the American education system, which is advantageous for students aspiring to take the USMLE exam and Indian students can easily clear FMGE as well. The country's excellent cross-cultural environment, pleasant weather and affordable cost make it a popular choice for Indian students looking to pursue MBBS in Philippines.
The Philippines is a country located in Southeast Asia, known for its beautiful beaches, rich history and diverse culture. Its capital city is Manila and it has a population of over 100 million people.
Medical education in the Philippines is highly regarded and has become a popular choice for international students seeking to pursue a degree in medicine. Medical colleges in the Philippines are recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO), the NATIONAL MEDICAL COMMISSION (NMC) and the General Medical Council (GMC) in the UK and so on. Many Indian students choose to study MBBS in Philippines due to its affordable tuition fees, English-speaking environment and the opportunity to gain clinical experience in hospitals with modern facilities.
Why Study MBBS in Philippines?
Here are some reasons why students should consider studying MBBS in the Philippines:
1. Affordable Tuition Fees: Tuition fees for MBBS in the Philippines are relatively lower compared to other countries like the USA, UK or Australia.
2. English as the Medium of Instruction: All the programs of MBBS in the Philippines are taught in English, making it easier for international students, including Indians, to communicate and learn.
3. International Recognition: Philippine medical universities are recognized by international organizations such as WHO and NMC.
4. US-based Curriculum: Medical universities in the Philippines follow the American education system, which means that the curriculum is similar to that of the United States. This makes it easier for students
5. Clinical Experience: The country has a high patient-to-doctor ratio, giving students ample opportunity to gain clinical experience in modern hospitals and healthcare facilities
6. Cross-cultural Environment: The Philippines is a melting pot of various cultures and studying there provides students with an opportunity to interact with people from different backgrounds.
7. Ease of Admission: The admission process for MBBS in the Philippines is comparatively easy.
8. Comfortable Living: The country has a tropical climate and is known for its beautiful beaches, making it an attractive destination for students looking for a comfortable and relaxed environment to study.
Quick Highlights on MBBS in Philippines
Below are the imperatives that Indian students should consider in taking steps towards pursuing MBBS in the Philippines.<2>Eligibility:
50% in PCB for General Category
40% for SC/ST/OBC Category
Mandatory for students who want to practice profession in India
IELTS & TOEFL:
Pre-Med Course + 4 ½ years MD + 1 year internship as per the NMC guidelines
Medium of Instruction:
Universities Recognized by:
NMC, FAIMER, WHO, ECFMG
Best Medical Colleges in Philippines:
1. Davao Medical School Foundation (DMSF), Davao City
2. UV Gullas College of Medicine, Cebu City
Advantages of studying MBBS in Philippines
There are several advantages to study in Philippines for MBBS:
- Low Cost
- English-Medium Education
- Globally Recognized Curriculum
- American Influence on Education System
- High-Quality Education
- No Donation or Capitation Fee
- Internationally Accredited Medical Schools
- Wide Range of Clinical Exposure
- Excellent Accommodation Facilities
- Good Safety Record
Disadvantages of studying MBBS in Philippines
One of the potential drawbacks of studying Philippines MBBS is being away from family and friends for an extended period. This can be a challenging experience for some students, particularly those who are close to their families. Being in a new environment without the support system of loved ones can be overwhelming and lonely. Additionally, the cost of travel to visit family and friends during holidays or emergencies can also add to the financial burden of studying abroad. However, with modern technology, it is easier than ever to stay in touch with loved ones through video calls and messaging platforms, which can help ease the feelings of homesickness.
Eligibility Criteria to study MBBS in Philippines
To be eligible for studying MBBS Philippines, Indian students must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must be at least 17 years old by December 31st of the year of admission.
- General category applicants must have a minimum aggregate score of 50% in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (PCB) in their 10+2 examinations.
- SC/ST and OBC category applicants must have a minimum aggregate score of 40% in PCB in their 10+2 examinations.
- Applicants who wish to practice medicine in India must clear the NEET exam to be eligible for admission.
Admission Process to study MBBS in Philippines
Here is a step-by-step guide to study in Philippines for MBBS:
- Complete and submit the online application form.
- Submit scanned copies of your passport and other necessary documents with the application.
- Collect the admission letter from the university.
- Begin the immigration procedure once you receive the admission confirmation.
- Visit the Philippine Embassy in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, or Kolkata (depending on your jurisdiction) after receiving the invitation letter from the university.
- Have your documents checked, evaluate and verify to apply for a visa.
General instructions to candidates to study MBBS in Philippines
To apply in a medical school to study in Philippines for MBBS, it is important for every candidate to thoroughly read and review the prospectus and application form before submitting it to the admission office.
Interview and Counselling:
Selected candidates will be called for an interview and counselling. Admissions to study in Philippines for MBBS are based on merit and performance in the interview.
1. The application form must be complete and all entries legible.
2. Original documents will have to be produced at the time of interview and counselling. Attested photocopies of documents mentioned below should be attached with the application form.
b) 10th, 11th & 12th Mark Sheet
c) 10th & 12th Passing Certificate
d) Eligible NEET Score
e) Transfer Certificate / Leaving Certificate
f) Migration Certificate
g) Birth Certificate
h) Community Certificate
i) 10 Nos. Recent Photograph (80% face visibility, White Background, Matte finish)
3. Candidates who are short-listed will be duly intimated for further admission process.
4. Check the fees payable for the course before applying to the medical school. Fees are payable in advance before the commencement of the course. All tuition fees are reviewed annually. Fees once paid will not be refunded.
5. Terms & Conditions:
Candidates applying for Philippines MBBS must obtain the consent and approval of their parents or guardians. They should ensure that all information provided in the application is complete and accurate to the best of their knowledge. The candidates must also agree to comply with the disciplinary rules and regulations set forth by the medical school, as well as the course curriculum and academic standards as prescribed by the school from time to time. It is strictly prohibited for candidates to engage in activities that may disrupt the daily operations, decorum, and discipline of the school, both on and off-campus. Candidates must understand that any false or misleading information may result in the cancellation of their admission at any stage of the course.
Top Medical Universities in Philippines
There are several medical colleges to study MBBS Philippines but to specify a particular medical school in Philippines will be Davao Medical School Foundation (DMSF). DMSF is widely regarded as the best medical school in the Philippines due to its top-notch infrastructure, experienced faculty and a comprehensive curriculum. The institution is recognized by various international organizations and has a high percentage of Indian students. It offers modern facilities and ample opportunities for clinical exposure, research and extracurricular activities. Additionally, the affordable fee structure and comfortable living conditions make it a popular choice among Indian students seeking to pursue MBBS in Philippines.